Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a serious oral health issue that affects millions of people each year. At Watson Orthodontics in Draper, Utah, we are dedicated to educating our patients about the importance of preventing and treating gum disease.
What is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an infection of the gums and the surrounding tissues that support the teeth. It is caused by plaque, a film of bacteria that forms on the teeth and gums. When plaque is not removed through regular brushing and flossing, it can harden into tartar, which can only be removed by a dentist or dental hygienist.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
The early stages, also known as gingivitis, may not cause any symptoms. However, as the disease progresses, symptoms may include:
- Red, swollen, or bleeding gums
- Receding gums
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- A change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
Dr. Jamey Watson’s Orthodontic Treatment Options for Gum Disease
At Watson Orthodontics, we understand the importance of preventing and treating periodontal diseases. Dr. Jamey Watson offers a variety of orthodontic treatment options to help prevent and treat problems that lead to gum disease, including:
- Braces: Traditional braces or clear aligners can help correct bite problems and straighten teeth, making it easier to keep the teeth and gums clean.
- Retainers: After orthodontic treatment, retainers can help keep teeth in their new position, preventing relapse and promoting good oral hygiene.
- Orthodontic appliances: Dr. Watson may also recommend the use of orthodontic appliances, such as expanders or palate elevators, to help correct jaw or bite problems that can lead to gum disease.
If you have any questions or concerns about orthodontic treatment, please don’t hesitate to contact us. You can visit our Contact Us page on our website to schedule a consultation with Dr. Jamey Watson today.